WebApplication Windows 7
4/ 4 stars from 5 users.

Heavy Vehicle Use Tax Refund

VIN is Vehicle Identification Number. It is a 17 digit number allotted to individual vehicles. They are used to uniquely identify motor vehicles. IRS provides an option in Form 2290 to correct any mistakes done in the VIN in the previous filings. This type of amendment is called as the VIN correction.

You can correct your vin following steps:

  • You need to file a vin correction for a return created in TruckTaxOnline.com, or
  • You need to file a vin correction for a return created elsewhere or by paper.
  • After that, you simply fill out the VIN correction information, transmit it to the IRS,
  • and you'll receive your updated Schedule 1 in minutes.

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):

Vehicle identification number or VIN is a 17 charters long mixed with alphabets and numbers used to identify a vehicle. It is required to quote it in the Form 2290 return to report Heavy Vehicle Use Taxes (HVUT) with the IRS and pay the taxes in full.

Make sure the Vehicle Identification Numbers are correct in your 2290 return and are not duplications from a previous filing. Correcting any duplication and re-submitting the return is referred us VIN Correction. Schedule 1 copy will have your VIN and Vehicle Category (Gross Weight) for easy reference as treated a “Proof for Payment” of taxes in full for your vehicle.

VIN# will not have some alphabets like “I” “O” “Q” in it, if you see that it may be wrong. Double check it before you file, our website will not accept these alphabets by any chance.

Reporting a VIN Correction return:

While reporting your IRS Form 2290 tax return you need to quote your VIN# or Vehicle Identification Number. By mistake you may have key it wrong or left out something in it, then you need to correct it by reporting a VIN Correction return and IRS now has the option of e-filing VIN correction return. E-filing you VIN correction return allow IRS for faster processing and issue a new corrected Schedule 1 copy with the right VIN in minute’s time.

Remember... VIN Corrections can be only done for taxable or suspended vehicles, not for credit vehicles or for prior suspended vehicles. When you file a VIN Correction Form 2290, you can't combine it with claimed credits on the same form. Also, the wrong VIN must have been paid for on your original Form 2290. Otherwise, the IRS will assess penalties on top of the actual tax.