EFTPS or Electronic Federal Tax Payment System is a free tax payment service by the U.S Department of Treasury. Since 1996 when it came into being, many several taxpayers choose to pay their tax dues to the IRS through EFTPS, as it is safe, secure, and convenient. To access the website, taxpayers should create an account in the EFTPS website by providing the essential information such as SSN or EIN number, EFTPS PIN (Personal Identification Number), and Password. To add ease and eliminate the chance of making errors, taxpayers choosing to pay their tax dues through EFTPS can select their own tax period and date.
- For online registration, tax filers registering as an individual have to provide their SSN number, whereas, business entities enrolling for an EFTPS account need to provide the EIN number.
- To authenticate the details, tax filers are required to provide their ‘Bank Account Number’ & ‘Routing Number’, also entering the actual address and name as mentioned on the IRS tax documents.
Instructions To Follow:
- Choose the ‘Enrollment’ option, and select the appropriate option whether Business, Individual, or Federal Agency
- Key in the requested details, and then click the submit button
Tax filers have to wait for 7 working days to get their PIN on their email ID.
Retrieving Your Password
- Visit EFTPS website, check on the ‘Log in’ option, and the ‘Need a Password’ option
- Key in the essential details such as Employment Identification Number or Social Security Number along with the Personal Identification Number
- Ensure the bank information provided is authentic and correct to proceed, and then generate a new password
Making Tax Payments
- Choose the ‘Make a Payment’ option on the EFTPS website
- Log in using EIN or SSN, PIN, and the new password generated
- When done, retain a copy of the payment confirmation page for future use
What EFTPS Offers:
- Opting for Electronic Federal Tax Payment System gives the advantage to file tax returns through Internet or phone. It is advisable to have the login credentials handy.
- Taxpayers filing excise tax such as form 2290 can schedule their tax payment in advance, as well as cancel or re-schedule the date up to two business days prior the scheduled date.
- EFTPS can be used for making tax payment for several federal tax returns such as excise and extension tax.
- Choosing the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System allows tax filers to check their payment history.
- Paying tax dues through EFTPS, taxpayers receive an acknowledgement mentioning the payment confirmation.