- What is VIN Correction?
- Mistakes happen. When you have Vehicle identification numbers of up to 17 characters with numbers and alphabets mixed, mistakes happen. For example, You type 5 instead of S. To err is human.
- Your vehicle’s fingerprint, VIN, is very important to report your Form 2290 taxes with IRS. If you make a mistake on any of the digits while filing the HVUT return using your VIN for your heavy vehicle, it’s easy to fix the same by filing a form 2290 amendment for VIN correction on another new form 2290. We understand that the VIN is very liable to be mistaken and wrongly reported on tax form 2290 and so at 2290irstax.com you can now comfortably correct VIN electronically.
- Vin Introduction
- IRS introduced VIN correction using form 2290 in 2009 - couple years after introducing Efiling of Form 2290. So once you make a mistake in VIN, you can send an amended Form 2290 to IRS and get the Schedule 1 corrected.
- But the bad news is that VIN Correction Form 2290 can’t be Efiled, must be printed and mailed in. It takes 4-6 weeks to get the corrected Schedule 1 from IRS.
- What you can’t do?
- VIN Correction can be only done for Taxable or suspended vehicles and not for credit vehicles or for prior suspended vehicles.
- When you file VIN Correction form 2290, you can’t combine it with claiming credits on the same form.
- The wrong VIN must have been paid for in the original form 2290. Otherwise, IRS will assess penalties on top of the actual tax.
|Typo in the VIN||Choose VIN Correction amendment on Form 2290||Call 2290 Irs tax at 615-6013-983|
|Weight of the vehicle Increased||Choose Form 2290 amendment||Call 2290 Irs Tax at 615-6013-983|
|Suspended vehicles exceeded mileage||Choose Form 2290 Amendment||Call 2290 Irs Tax at 615-6013-983|
|EIN number or Business name is wrong||Can’t be changed using Form 2290||Call the IRS excise Hotline at 866.699.4096|